Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup speed is slow

2009-04-08 04:38:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup speed is slow
From: Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2009 10:33:38 +0200
Pascal Clermont wrote:
> Hi,
> I was reading the archives and stumbled upon "[Bacula-users] Improving Backup
> speed" thread which caught my eye since I am having issues.
> we backup over 6TB of small files during a full usually started on Friday
> night these are far from being finished on Mondays. the transfer on the wire
> is usually finished within 24 hours.
> My bottleneck being "Dir inserting Attributes" in my database. I only have
> 2.5 Gb of ram on that machine and intend to upgrade by the end of the month.
> (so far we intend to upgrade to 8gb of ram)
>
> Something in the thread caught my eye :
>
> "
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:31:54 +0100, Bruno Friedmann <bruno AT ioda-net DOT ch>
> wrote:
> I added the following indexes:
>
> CREATE INDEX File_JobId_idx ON File(JobId);
> CREATE INDEX File_PathId_idx ON File(PathId);
> CREATE INDEX File_FilenameId_idx ON File(FilenameId);
> CREATE INDEX Path_PathId_idx ON Path(PathId);
> CREATE INDEX Job_FileSetId_idx ON Job(FileSetId);
> CREATE INDEX Job_ClientId_idx ON Job(ClientId);
> CREATE INDEX File_FilenameId-PathId_idx ON File(FilenameId,PathId);
> It remains to be seen whether the added indexing will impact insert/update
> performance, but I'll take a small performance hit if it means faster
> restores and sanity checks. "
>
> As I am no database expert, Would I benefit from creating these indexes in
> order to speed up attributes inserting?
> My database is already at 137G in size with only about 3 months of jobs. I've
> ran the dbcheck a few times ( which takes ~48 hours to complete ) but do not
> feel an improvement once that is done.
>

> Any tips/comments concerning improving database insertion would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Regards,
>
> Pascal S. Clermont

Same request about Dan : which database are you using on which OS, and with
which bacula version
This would help us a lot to understand your context.

Did you have modify the default serveur db ?
distribution tends to setup a minimal not optimized server ...

The indexes I've creade help dbcheck a lot (many hours to < 1 hour on some
sites)
( don't forget to modify it's default mode choice 1: if you want your db
corrected otherwise it's only a read operation )

--

     Bruno Friedmann