Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: About selection of volumes

2009-04-05 18:52:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Fwd: About selection of volumes
From: Daniel Bareiro <daniel-listas AT gmx DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 19:46:11 -0300
Hi John.

On Tuesday, 31 March 2009 09:45:33 -0400,
John Drescher wrote:

> > Apparently Bacula is wanting to use a volume that is not in
> > autochanger and whose state is Append when being all the volumes in
> > autochanger in Full state. I suppose that changing manually the
> > state of some volume in autochanger to Purged, the backup process
> > would be resumed, is it correct?

> No. You need to either give it the volume it asks for or Purge a
> volume in the changer and then issue a mount on the changer.

Clearly. To make a Purge of some volume, as I said, or to give the
volume that Bacula is waiting. The 'mount' command is for saying to
Bacula that uses the new available volume without having to wait the
retry backup time arrives?

> > But I consider that this does not assure that this situation appears
> > again.
> >
> > In such case, what you recommend to me to avoid that it returns to
> > happen? It would help to take advantage of this moment to now do a
> > change of tapes putting oldest and putting to all these tapes in
> > autochanger in Purged state so that they are recycled?

> When this happens I usually swap out a few of the newest volumes with
> a few of the oldest volumes and bacula will be happy for months.

Good. It was something that I imagined, but whatever happens I wanted to
ask to you if there were another better alternative :-) After to swap
the volumes, as you said above, it would be necessary to Purge all them
and to issue a mount, I suppose. Is it correct?

Thanks for your reply.

Regards,
Daniel
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37