Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Severe Performance Issues with high volume of files

2009-04-01 15:48:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Severe Performance Issues with high volume of files
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:41:45 -0400
Here's my points/suggestions on your server setup (I'll leave the bacula
SQL code observations to the bacula developers)...

In order of what I would try:

1) put mysql-temp and the bacula tables on separate storage. Have that also
separate from bacula's temp if possible--I use raid-0 for the spool volume.
  (i.e. SpoolDirectory in the Device section of bacula-sd.conf)

2) on unix, 64 bit OS stuff is kinda the same as 32 bit until you get
beyond 4 GB of ram, so you may want to consider adding some to take it to
8GB or more.  You can also use 'top' and other commands to monitor how much
RAM it's using and adjust the tuning parameters for it.

3) You may want to tune mysql parameters some but I'm no mysql expert.  If
you add ram, some of the mysql parameters will need to be adjusted to take
advantage of it.  Even if you don't change mysql parameters at all, the
extra memory will go into disk cache which may help a lot.

4) That server is dual processor capable so you may want to consider adding
a 2nd CPU.  Have you monitored the load avg values for the server?  That
may give you some indication of whether you're lacking CPU power or hitting
some other bottleneck like memory/disk/or just plane io.  There are other
utilities to help with this too.

I spool everything and then go to tape w/o any disk/file pools so your
situation is quite different than mine even though we're both running
bacula on a PowerEdge 2900 with 64 bit linux.  Have you considered
upgrading to LTO-2 or better?  If you ever have to get all 5 TB off tape at
LTO-1 speeds you're probably going to be under a lot of stress.

     Bob