Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] binding of outgoing connection to specific address

2009-04-01 03:08:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] binding of outgoing connection to specific address
From: Massimo Schenone <mschenone AT sorint DOT it>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 09:03:22 +0200
On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 12:02 -0700, Kevin Keane wrote:
> Steve Polyack wrote:
> > Kevin Keane wrote:
> >> Inquiring minds want to know: why would you want to control the
> >> source address? Doesn't the routing table automatically select the
> >> correct one based on the destination address you want to reach?
> >>

> > The OS is supposed to choose a "functional" address, which when paired
> > with a routing entry, makes the destination reachable.  However, in a
> > multi-homed environment this may not choose the desired connection
> > (does not account for bandwidth, latency, hops, etc).  Few applications
> In all honesty, I'm not yet following (and the links you added went to a
> 404 page, sorry ). 99% of the time when somebody comes up with an
> unusual request like that, there is something for me to learn, so I hope
> you can forgive me for probing further!

Forgive me too..

> Do you mean, multihomed on the same physical network? Or multihomed on
> two separate physical networks? On the same physical network, I could
> see some merit if you have two NICs. Dedicating one NIC to bacula
> traffic may allow a switch to establish a completely separate data path
> and not impact regular traffic. But even then - shouldn't this be better
> done as a second subnet overlayed over the same physical network?

I guess a toy example can be cluster configurations: several resources
with different virtual ip and different volume groups, logical volumes,
file systems. Usually (Sun Cluster o RH Cluster Suite) vips are
associated to virtual interfaces (eth0:1, nge0:1,ecc.) on the same
subnet. If you want to backup a resource you can specify the ip for
binding bacula-fd and source address for each resource.
Before this discussion I didn't realize I need to bind source address, I
supposed the communication flow to be director -> client -> sd.
Maybe source address binding helps with firewall rules definition..