Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] windows vista bacula

2009-03-30 10:40:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] windows vista bacula
From: Chris Lieb <chris.lieb+nospam AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 09:35:10 -0500

On 3/30/2009 8:53 AM, John Drescher wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:20 AM, Bill Szkotnicki <bszk AT uoguelph DOT ca>
> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I have the backup sort of working for windows vista.
>> The FileSet I am using is below in this message.
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) I am still getting this message:
>>
>> apscnm234bjf-fd JobId 5175:      C:/Users/jfrance/Documents/My Pictures
>> is a different filesystem. Will not descend from
>> C:/Users/jfrance/Documents into C:/Users/jfrance/Documents/My Pictures
>>
>> The bacula fd is running on vista under the "system account" and it
>> "will not descend.
>> And yet the backup of C:/Users/jfrance/Pictures is fine.
>> I can't even see "C:/Users/jfrance/Documents/My Pictures" on the client
>> machine ( a notebook on my desk )
>> But surely it is the same set of files?????
>>
>> 2) Is there a way to wildcard the username part in the FileSet?
>> Something like C:/Users/*/*"
>>

>> Thanks, Bill
>>
>> FileSet {
>>  Name = "vista-files"
>>  Include {
>>    Options {
>>      Compression=GZIP
>>      signature=SHA1
>>      Sparse = yes
>>    }
>>    File = "C:/Users/jfrance/Contacts"
>>    File = "C:/Users/jfrance/Desktop"
>>    File = "C:/Users/jfrance/Documents"
>>    File = "C:/Users/jfrance/Downloads"
>>    File = "C:/Users/jfrance/Pictures"
>>  }
>> }
>>

> I thought the consensus from several users last week was not to backup
> C:\Users because this is actually a symlink to the real location and
> that real location should have already been in your fileset for a
> normal backup?
>
> John

C:\Users is a real location.  It's folders like C:\Users\username\My
Pictures that are not real directories.  For the OP, you don't need to
do anything about these messages.  They're just informative in this
case.  I get messages like that on most of the computers that I back up
since Bacula is set, by default, to only back up the filesystem that is
part of an include path.

You won't see the directories that Bacula is not descending into by
default on Vista.  They are hidden directories.  If you want to see
them, you have to make Windows Explorer show hidden directories.

Chris