Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Tape problems with Bacula

2009-03-16 15:59:11
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Tape problems with Bacula
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 15:46:52 -0400
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:07 PM, Christopher Dick <jcdick1 AT yahoo DOT com>
wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> I have Bacula 2.4.2 running on openSUSE 11.1, and I seem to have developed a
> tape issue I can't seem to resolve.
>
> I needed to remove some full tapes from the library and replace them with
> empty ones, and then take those new tapes and do a rewind/weof/label on them.
>  It seems Bacula leaves the last appendable tape in the drive when the last
> job runs, and so in order to do the tape management tasks I had to "release"
> the media in the drive and return it to its original slot in the library.

Always release all volumes before manually adding tapes and use update
slots after you are finished and the archive has finished its
inventory run "update slots"

> Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be happening.  I issued a release (using
> bat) to the library, and it said it was unloading the drive.  Then something
> went wrong.  Now I seem to have the issue.
>
> >From a status on my tape drive, I have this:
>
> Device status:
> Autochanger "Autochanger" with devices:
>   "LTO-2" (/dev/st0)
> Device "LTO-2" (/dev/st0) is not open.
>    Drive 0 status unknown.
>
> If I run "mtx -f /dev/sg1 status" I get the following:
>
>  Storage Changer /dev/sg1:2 Drives, 20 Slots ( 1 Import/Export )
> Data Transfer Element 0:Full (Storage Element 8 Loaded):VolumeTag = CAD170L2
> Data Transfer Element 1:Empty
>      Storage Element 1:Full :VolumeTag=CAD039L2
>      Storage Element 2:Full :VolumeTag=CAD003L2
>      Storage Element 3:Full :VolumeTag=CAD020L2
>      Storage Element 4:Full :VolumeTag=CAD818L2
>      Storage Element 5:Full :VolumeTag=CADN817L2
>      Storage Element 6:Empty:VolumeTag=
>      Storage Element 7:Empty:VolumeTag=
>      Storage Element 8:Empty:VolumeTag=
>      Storage Element 9:Full :VolumeTag=CAD809L2
>      Storage Element 10:Full :VolumeTag=CLNH07L1
>      Storage Element 11:Full :VolumeTag=CAD800L2
>      Storage Element 12:Full :VolumeTag=CAD801L2
>      Storage Element 13:Full :VolumeTag=CAD802L2
>      Storage Element 14:Full :VolumeTag=CADN803L2
>      Storage Element 15:Full :VolumeTag=CAD804L2
>      Storage Element 16:Full :VolumeTag=CAD805L2
>      Storage Element 17:Full :VolumeTag=CAD806L2
>      Storage Element 18:Full :VolumeTag=CAD807L2
>      Storage Element 19:Full :VolumeTag=CAD808L2
>      Storage Element 20 IMPORT/EXPORT:Empty:VolumeTag=
>
> So apparently, the tape that I had attempted to release - which would
> normally be moved back to its home slot - is still in the drive.
>
> If I attempt a manual "mtx -f /dev/sg1unload 8 0" I get this:
>
> Unloading drive 0 into Storage Element 8...mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
> mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
> mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
> mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
> mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Residual = 00 00 00 01
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 53
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 82
> mtx: Request Sense: Field in Error = 00
> mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Field Pointer = 00 00
> MOVE MEDIUM from Element Address 1 to 38 Failed

This means you tried the mtx command when the archive was busy.

> It seems my tape drive is stuck.  I can't get 170 to come out.  If I issue a
> release again, I get a message saying that "Device "LTO-2" already released."
>  Tape is still in there, though.

Stop bacula-sd. Then use the front pannel of the archive to move the
tape. If that does not work power cycle it. If it still gives you
problems disconnect the scsi cable and then power cycle the archive.
After all is well and the archive is done with its inventory reconnect
things and then start bacula-sd and then update slots.

John