Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple Storage devices in a single Pool?

2009-03-16 09:55:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Multiple Storage devices in a single Pool?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 09:46:03 -0400
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 9:16 AM, Uwe Schuerkamp <hoover AT nionex DOT net>
wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'd like to add a 2nd tape library to one of our bacula servers which
> is running out of space. Is it possible to define jobs in such a way
> that bacula itself will take care of which storage the job actually
> ends up in / on?

Not directly.

> My idea was to label the tapes in the new library so that they belong
> to the same pool as the tapes in the old tape library, but I wonder
> wether the "Storage = " keyword is mandatory in a bacula job / jobdef
> statement?

Yes. You have to tell bacula what storage to use. From that bacula
picks a drive (if you have a multi drive autochanger) and it will use
this drive for the duration of the backup. In my opinion it is
probably best to have different libraries in different pools so that
bacula does not BLOCK (and wait for user intervention) because it
recycled a tape from one library but wants to use it in the other.

John