Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Strange behavior with dynamic labeling

2009-03-13 10:03:52
Subject: [Bacula-users] Strange behavior with dynamic labeling
From: "Wolf" <wolfjack AT fast DOT net>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:52:46 -0500
Greetings,

I've noticed an odd behavior in bacula and I am not sure if it is a
documented bug or not.

I have my label format, in my pool definitions, set as Label Format =
"Full-${JobName}" so that each backup that runs gets a unique name such as
Full-superdb.2009-03-11_15.46.47.03.

What I am noticing is that if I have a client configured in bacula but the
director cannot contact a remote client the "stuck" label is used on the
next job that runs. For example I have a client in the director that is
named ldh0500.p1. When we did some IP changes the director was unable to
connect the ldh0500.p1 to run it's scheduled backup. When the next job ran,
for client wdh0500.p1, the volume generated was tagged as
Full-ldh0500.p1.2009-03-09_23.05.00.57. This went on for a few nights before
we were able to correct it and get jobs running and labeling properly again.
We noticed it again when a new client was added to the director but not
properly setup on the remote. Again, when bacula was unable to reach this
new client the next job that ran was labeled with the missed clients job
name.

So, it this a know bug or have I missed something in the configuration
(besides the human error of adding clients in the director before the remote
is setup).

-Adam