Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backporting FD Encryption

2009-03-13 07:26:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backporting FD Encryption
From: Matthew King <matthew.king AT monnsta DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:14:58 +0000
Philipp Geschke <bacula AT pgmail DOT net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Matthew King schrieb:
>> I see that encryption of data is working (or at least it's written and
>> compiles) in bacula's SVN repository.
>>
>> Is this version of bacula (3.0 or 2.5 by the way?) likely to become
>> stable soon, or if not, is backporting the encryption into 2.4 likely to
>> be a mammoth task not worth the effort?
>>
>> I would like to get the encryption, and I'd rather not compile (and use)
>> the whole of an unstable edition of bacula to get it (apt spoils me
>> rotten), so I want to know if I should wait for the new version or hack
>> the encryption support into the current fd for myself.
>
> Might be that I am completely missunderstanding your issue, but I
> think you were fooled by a license issue that keeps debian lenny (and
> so ubuntu starting with 8.10) packages from supporting encryption at
> all.
>
> data and transport encryption work fine with the 2.44 packages in
> debian lenny, you just need to download the source packages and
> recompile.

This looks like it. I tried to find out which version was first released
with data encryption but when that failed I resorted to seeing which
libraries bacula-fd was linked to and libssl was not one of them.

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2007/07/msg00144.html

I will look at this. Cheers.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely