Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] DMZ & Internal network problem

2009-03-06 11:31:46
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] DMZ & Internal network problem
From: "(private) HKS" <hks.private AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 11:24:10 -0500
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 10:59 AM, Giorgos Gaganis
<G.Gaganis AT gnomon.com DOT gr> wrote:
> Hello
>
>    I am a new user of bacula. I have installed it successfully on the
> computer that I will use as director and storage and also to some of my
> servers and I must say I liked it very much. I have come across a
> problem though.
>
> I have a network setup with two subnets one that is internal and one is
> a DMZ. My backup server is installed on the internal network and I
> successfully setup the backups for servers that are on the internal
> network. My director has access to the fds on my DMZ servers but it is
> my impression that the fds are trying to contact the storage daemon
> directly to the address that is defined on the director setup file.
> Normally my servers on the DMZ cannot connect to addresses on the
> internal network. I have tried to create a NATed address where my DMZ
> servers can connect to the storage daemon but then it seems that my
> director can't connect to the storage daemon.
>
> I was wondering if there is a way to define a different address for my
> daemons depending on the client?

Two options immediately come to mind.
 - Multiple storage definitions in your bacula-dir.conf (Name =
internal-sd, Name = dmz-sd) with the "Address" field set
appropriately. Assign them to the different jobs based on where the
client is.
 - Set the address in your storage definition (bacula-dir.conf) to a
domain name and modify the hosts files on your DMZ hosts to go to the
external IP. Your internal hosts just do a typical DNS lookup and get
the internal result back.

-HKS