Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to run on Windows

2009-02-22 07:29:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to run on Windows
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 13:26:24 +0100
Hi,

22.02.2009 12:07, Bruno Friedmann wrote:
> Kevin Keane wrote:
>> For those of us using Windows to administer bacula, I found an easy way
>> to run bat. Read up about it in the Wiki page at
>> http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=hints_tips:bat_over_ssh_-_another_approach
>>
>> Basically, it's simple: install an X server on Windows, and then use SSH
>> X11 forwarding to run bacula on the server with just the user interface
>> running on Windows.
>>
>> Hopefully, it will help somebody!
>>
> I love the idea behind xming ...
>
> But as you certainly knows qt could be natively compiled for windows ( see
> kde4 progress )
> So now nokia as also released qt as lgpl, I'm pretty sure we can have a
> native win bat version.
>
> Just need to find a volunteers capable of doing this.
> ( not always the easy part :-) )

I guess those are two different discussions :-)

While Bat can probably be compiled for windows - and, as far as I
know, this is being worked on - the developers will surely be glad
about any help with a windows port. Bat on windows needs a lot of work
before being stable (that's what I understand from the -devel list).

Running Bat on a unix/linux machine and presenting the application on
a windows desktop X11 display is possible today, without any
additional instability. Actually, it's what I recommend to my
customers :-)

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann