Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula BLOCK issue where already created volumes not being read

2009-02-12 23:19:24
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula BLOCK issue where already created volumes not being read
From: Mario Lobo <mlobo AT digiart.art DOT br>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 23:09:35 -0300
Forgive me if I'm prolonging this troll here but I felt compeled to write.

I don't know exactly what was the problem he was having but on the other hand,
with Bacula, I was able to write a series of scripts that creates a nice
backup system for switchable hard drives. It worked so well that it has been
running on Bacula 1.39 since it started. It is perfectly stable to say the
least !.

Yes it took a lot of reading. Yes it took a lot of trial and error, but Bacula
was always beside those points, They were relevant to my scrpts only.

I think is it extremely unfare to stamp a wonderful software like Bacula to be
an unstable or poorly design software just because of ONE of your experiences
with it. I think its proper to measure the sucsses/failure ratio among users
before posting this things. Then you may find that there is nothing wrong
with Bacula but with your attempts at it.

I have been lurking in the FreeBSD comunity since version 2.2.8 and, believe
me, I'd risk to say that 60 to 70 % of the help/support we need to use it
comes from the users, not from the guys who designed it. But they are there,
monitoring, ready to step in when some of us users adds a BS along the way.

I think the suport is right here. Is it unpaid? yes because the developers do
it on their spare time for free. Does it take long to get a reply? well,
sometimes yes, for the same reason above.

I am not trying to change your mind about Bacula. I am just humbly trying to
give you another perspective in the hopes that you might reformat your
atitude towards open source.

In any case, I hope you find something that works for you.

Best wishes,

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br