Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Perception of Bacula (was: products based on bacula)

2009-02-04 15:17:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Perception of Bacula (was: products based on bacula)
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 21:15:09 +0100
Hi,

04.02.2009 18:13, Foo wrote:
> On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 08:02:14 +0100, Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Jan 30, 2009, at 3:07 PM, Arno Lehmann wrote:
>
>>> When I'm talking with the management of a potential customer, I
>>> neither use the tag line, nor do we read over the website together...
>
> Right, so you filter. Which is not always possible.

Well, I agree, though personally, I never encountered such a
situation. Which might be because, most of the time now, potential
customers contact me, and not vice versa :-)

>>> In fact, if they want to talk about those things, they probably know a
>>> web server called "apache", whose name is also quite ridiculous.
>
> It's not how fanciful a name is, but the (unintended) connotations.

I really fail to see the negative connotations... still.

>> All product evaluation should start with a list of requirements.  We all
>> know about requirements collection.  From there, you evaluate the
>> available products.  Often points are awarded for various features.
>
> In my case we are byond the requirements stage, this is about selling it
> to third parties. Incidentally, I got a reply which concisely stated that
> no third party software may be installed, so the issue was deftly avoided,
> but I'm pretty sure the above played a part.
>
>> I have yet to see any requirements which specified  "nice name" or
>> "non-tacky by line".
>
> Sure, but back in the real world marketing is king. The current Bacula
> marketing doesn't score points in some quarters, whether you like it or
> not (and eventually if you want to compete you have to compromise, whether
> you have 'do no evil' as your motto or not (see China)).
>
>> We have much bigger and better fish to fry.  Worrying about potential
>> users who clearly do not have their priorities in order is not on our
>> top 10 list.
>
> Hey, I'm just trying to help, illustrated with example.

... and I guess the fact that people still read and answer this thread
shows you we appreciate that!

>> If we were out to make money, these issues have much more merit.
>
> I thought that was the object of Bacula Systems.

Hmm... in fact, Bacula Systems SA tries to keep separate from the
open-source project (though this might be hard to believe, as some of
the core developers are involved in the company as well). In other
words, even if you explained your worries to Bacula System's marketing
department, the response from the users community would still be a
most important factor.

Given the company's intentions, if you're sure that tag line has to go
or to be replaced, I would suggest you start a poll on this mailing
list and forward the result... I'm pretty sure Kern (who's IP the name
and tag line are, probably) will consider any such request, though I'm
also sure he's quite fond of both name and tag line (actually, by now,
I share that fondness :-)

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann