Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Broken LTO tapes?

2009-02-01 03:07:21
Subject: [Bacula-users] Broken LTO tapes?
From: Jesper Krogh <jesper AT krogh DOT cc>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 09:03:55 +0100
Hi list

This is not really a bacula question.. but somehow really related.

How common is it to have a "broken" LTO-tape? I've (in like 3-4 years
working with LTO) never seen this, but it looks like a borken tape.

Last night when bacula should recycle a tape it didnt success, the tape
never got loaded sucessfully by the "mt -f /dev/nst0 status" command, it
returns just "input/output" error.

The problem is that this raises some doubt about all our shelf-tapes..
so have I just been really unlucky, or could there be other reasons to
this behaviour.

jk@bacula:~$ sudo mtx -f /dev/changer load 102 1
jk@bacula:~$ sudo dd if=/dev/nst1 of=/dev/nul
dd: opening `/dev/nst1': Input/output error
jk@bacula:~$ sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/nst1
dd: opening `/dev/nst1': Input/output error
jk@bacula:~$ sudo mt -f /dev/nst1 status
/dev/nst1: Input/output error

(Same drive .. just a functional tape)
jk@bacula:~$ sudo mtx -f /dev/changer unload 102 1
Unloading drive 1 into Storage Element 102...done
jk@bacula:~$ sudo mt -f /dev/nst1 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=-1, block number=-1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (50000)
jk@bacula:~$ sudo mt -f /dev/nst1 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x44 (LTO-3).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
  BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Now.. This is pure luck, that I didnt have to use this for anything, it
was found during recycling of the incremental pool so the actual tape
should just have been overwritten anyway. But it makes me think a bit.

--
Jesper