Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula strategy question

2009-01-31 05:05:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula strategy question
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 02:01:41 -0800
I agree with the idea of using different pools (you can specify the pool
to use in the schedule). The incremental pool could have a volume
retention of 9 days, so you would only have incrementals just past the
last full. While we are talking about changing the retention times, I
would also suggest using 20 days instead of 15 for the full. That way,
you have two full backups almost all the time, in case one of them has a
problem. The oldest full backup will be pruned right before the next
full backup.

The "Maximum Volume Jobs" is not going to do what you want, though.
Imagine that you start the system on a Tuesday. Then your volume is
going to have the Full from Sunday and the next incremental, but also
the incrementals from Tue-Sat *before* the Full.

All that said, my suggestion is to simply keep these old incrementals in
the first place.

a) Incrementals tend to be small, so they don't take up too much space.
b) They aren't actually useless. You can still restore files off these
incrementals. In fact, most of the time the incrementals tend to be the
only files that ever change in the first place. So if you have to go
back a week and a half, you can often come very close by restoring the
week-old Full backup, and then restoring the incrementals on top of it,
even if they are older.

Fahrer, Julian wrote:
> You could use different pools for full and incremental Backups. So an
> incremental backup won't overwrite a full one.
> Or you could set "Maximum Volume Jobs = 7" instead of "Use Volume Once". So
> you will always have your full backup and the incrementals in one volume. You
> also have to adjust Maximum Volumes and Volume Retention.
> But your incrementals will still be worthless when overwriting a full backup.
> I guess that's just the way it works.

Kevin Keane
Owner
The NetTech
Find the Uncommon: Expert Solutions for a Network You Never Have to Think About

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.