Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum Part Size in File

2009-01-26 12:28:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Maximum Part Size in File
From: Basura <basura AT sympatico DOT ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 12:25:43 -0500

Kevin Keane wrote:
Indeed you are. In bacula, the actual files ARE volumes. The volume
label is actually the file name on the hard disk.

In the catalog, you will see each backup as one job, and that job would
be spread over several volumes - which translate 1:1 to disk files.

I would suggest you convert the hard disk to a different file system to
remove the 2GB limit altogether. There really isn't much reason to use
FAT any more today. I can't really see a reason why you'd want to
connect a bacula backup to a Windows 9x box, since you couldn't read the
file anyway. If the HD is actually connected to a Windows box, convert
to NTFS (you can even do the conversion without reformatting, so you
won't lose data). Some Linux versions may also be able to read NTFS.

If the HD is actually on a Linux box and never needs to move to Windows,
use ext2 or ext3 (I'm not sure which is better for an external hard
disk). This will require reformatting.

Basura wrote:

AFAIK that would create more than 1 volume. Maximum part size will
split a single volume into parts, which is want i want. In the catalog
i want to have 1 volume since it is all the same backup, but in actual
files i want smaller (< 2GB files since that causes problems in some
OS) files.

Am I missing something here??

Thanks for the reply

Alejandro

Michel Meyers wrote:

Basura wrote:

i'm trying to create several 1GB files to burn. This splitting into
parts works when the media type is dvd but it is not honored for File
Media Type
here is the config i'm using
any idea why is that? is that directive ignored for local files (not
according to the docs)?? it is creating a single 2.5GB file

Device {
  Name = "To Burn"
  Media Type = File
  Archive Device = /var/backups/bacula/dvd
  LabelMedia = yes;                   # lets Bacula label unlabeled media
  Random Access = Yes;
  AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
  RemovableMedia = no;
  AlwaysOpen = no;
  Device Type = File
  *Maximum Part Size = 1049.6M;* #to create 4 files in a 4.7GiB dvd, it
adds up to 4.1GB and the disk is 4.3GB
}

i'm using bacula 2.4.2

I think you need to actually set the Max Volume size if you're using
file volumes. Try the Maximum Volume Bytes directive.

Greetings,
       Michel

thanks for the reply Kevin
i am actually not using FAT, and i could have >2GB files, but growisofs still complains about it (you have to force it to burn >2GB files) and i know for compatibility it's not a very good idea. For a last resource it wouldn't be a problem at all since i don't have old machines, but i'm pretty sure it's not too hard to avoid it all together (for now my worst case scenario is split'ing the file).
Now you say in bacula files ARE volumes, then how come for my straight-to-dvd backup i have 1 volume but 3 different files in the actual dvd? if i do bscan it recognizes 1 volume only and when it was created it created a single volume in the catalog. I thought that was the whole point of Maximum Part Size (emphasis on PART) which is different to maximum volume size. But the whole dvd thing might be due to a different reason, i just thought that's what it was

there's actually 2 more reasons on top of compatibility in case you were wondering: 1) i don't want to have to restore a 4GB file to extract a single file. 2) for some reason i feel like having smaller and several files is more robust since a bit flip would only screw at most 1 of them instead of my full backup. And as a bonus, i want to create par2 files for my backups and having smaller files would make it probably faster

Any thoughts?

Alejandro