Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Performance problems in migration from disk to tape

2009-01-23 03:08:17
Subject: [Bacula-users] Performance problems in migration from disk to tape
From: Ari Suutari <Ari.Suutari AT syncrontech DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:05:53 +0200
Hi,

My configuration is roughly like this: I back up
about 10 hosts to disk volume using bacula and
migrate the backups to tape once a week.

Backups work ok, the resulting volume file on
disk is currently about 25 Gb. I have also some
backups going directly to tape, performance there
is also ok.

But the weekly migration job, which moves backups
from disk volume to tape is really slow.

For example:
  Elapsed time:           7 mins 14 secs
  SD Files Written:       2
  SD Bytes Written:       3,913,732 (3.913 MB)

A relatively small backup job, only a couple of
megabytes took more than 7 minutes. When I looked
at the machine, it was doing heavy disk io, tape
is mostly idle.

This sounds a little bit similar as issue discussed
here earlier:
http://www.mail-archive.com/bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
net/msg31142.html

I wonder if there was any solution, configuring things
differently maybe ?

Regards,

   Ari Suutari