Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] New volumes put into "Full" status in succession from single backup

2009-01-22 10:37:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] New volumes put into "Full" status in succession from single backup
From: Win Htin <win.htin AT gmail DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 10:35:00 -0500
Problem resolved. The FC switch was acting up and due to that, the tape backups went crazy while doing FC path failover. Replaced the switch and everything is back to normal. Thanks!

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:52 PM, Win Htin <win.htin AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
I'm seeing "st0: Error 10000 (sugg. bt 0x0, driver bt 0x0, host bt 0x1)" messages from "dmesg" command and checking the /var/log/messages file, I see the same. I was able to do "mt" commands a couple of hours ago, failed a few minutes ago and it is working again right now. Maybe I should restart the whole tape changer later on.

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:25 PM, John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Win Htin <win.htin AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I received a "Backup Fatal Error" report from one of my prod backups last
> evening. After going through the report, I noticed the initial volume that
> was being used went in Error. Bacula loaded a new volume from scratch pool,
> continued with the backups and after writing less than 18GB of data, marked
> the new volume with "Full" status. This went on with 2 more new volumes with
> very little data actually written to each volume. Any idea what happened?

There is a problem communicating with the tape drive. This can be bad
hardware or a bad scsi driver. First take a look at your dmesg

John

--
email : win.htin AT gmail DOT com
"The unexamined life is not worth living" -- Socrates