Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula: windows, and multiple schedules

2009-01-07 10:47:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula: windows, and multiple schedules
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: "Mordechai T. Abzug" <morty AT frakir DOT org>, "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:45:28 -0500
On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 6:44 PM, Mordechai T. Abzug <morty AT frakir DOT org>
wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 07:31:29AM -0500, John Drescher wrote:
>
> [snip question about VSS and "ntbackup backup"]
>
>> You need both to backup the registry.
>
> Thanks!
>
>> You would add multiple Run= commands (one for each level) in the
>> Schedule Resource:
>>
>> http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html#SECTION001450000000000000000
>
> What I want is to have two sets of backup media -- a "daily" backup
> media set that gets rotated all year long, and a "monthly" media set
> that is a full backup that gets archived offsite.  Can this be done
> under bacula with one set of jobs with different Run=, or does it need
> to be more complex?  I've done this with AMANDA in the past, but I'm
> not sure how easy it is in the Bacula world.

I believe for that you will need 2 independent jobs that share the
same jobdef resource. The reason is that you do not want the daily
incrementals to be based off the off site set. The next version of
bacula will introduce a copy job that will allow you have bacula make
additional copies of jobs that have completed. In this way you can
make the full backup local and duplicate it for the remote storage.

You are talking about tapes correct? If not you can just rsync the
volume files to a remote site if you wanted and setup a longer
retention period for local full backups.

John