Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with bacula installation, and configuration (Urgent!!!)

2008-12-17 10:23:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with bacula installation, and configuration (Urgent!!!)
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:20:07 +0100
Hi,

17.12.2008 15:31, Echnaton Birkmann wrote:

> Hi guys,
>

> First thing first, I’m a total nube (rookie) when it comes to any
> sort of linux!!!

That will get fixed with some time :-)

> My OS is Ubuntu 8.04.1
>
> The bacula that I’m using is the latest release (2.4.3)
>
> I’ve downloaded and installed depkgs. (sqlite)
>

> Now…
>

> I Installed bacula with “apt-get install bacula” but then cancelled
> the installation in a point of installation status that I can’t
> remember…

That's not so good. If nothing else, your package database might not
represent what is actually there, so you bests start fixing this.
Either remove the stuff using apt, or re-install with apt.

> I then tried some stuff to get it running which first
> seemed fine… somehow.
>
> So I started to do my configuration of all the necessary .conf
> files.
>

> When I did “bacula-dir -t -c bacula-dir.conf” no error was
> returned.
>
> So the director is fine… but the storage daemon and the file daemon
> are somehow faulty.
>
> The SD:
>
> /17-Dez 15:06 bacula-dir: ERROR TERMINATION at parse_conf.c:902  /

Nay... you're checking the bacula-dir here.

> /Config error: Keyword "WorkingDirectory" not permitted in this
> resource.  /
>
> /Perhaps you left the trailing brace off of the previous resource.
> /
>
> /            : line 20, col 19 of file bacula-sd.conf  /
>
> /  WorkingDirectory = "/var/lib/bacula"  /
>

> The FD:
>
> /17-Dez 15:08 bacula-dir: ERROR TERMINATION at dird_conf.c:1254 /

Again, you're checking bacula-dir.

> /queryfile item is required in director resource, but not found. /
>

> So then… after some reconfiguring and testing I thought to myself…
>  “maybe there is a problem with the “unfinished and somehow fixed”
>  initial installation of bacula”. So I wanted to uninstall it.
>
> Turned out that it’s not as easy as I thought. I tried “apt-get
> remove bacula” but it kept the /etc/bacula/ -folder with all the
> configs in it.

No problem... you could either just remove that folder before starting
newly, or - and that's what I'd do - just re-install the bacula stuff.

I'm not very fluent with debian's/ubuntu's software packaging, so I'll
leave the explanation of apt etc. to others :-)

Arno

> So now… All that I want is to COMPLETELLY remove bacula (and all
> the services that are being installed by it) from my machine. To
> reinstall it then.
>

> Also a general question: I’m installing bacula on a ubuntu
> machine(let’s call it backup server) that has several mounts of
> other storage. The other storage is some kind of Network Attached
> Storage from intel, so there is no way of installing additional sw
> without voiding the warranty.
>
> So I’ll install bacula on the “backup server”. But how do I tell
> the director that the backup destination is a mounted hdd? And
> where do I install the fd-, and sd- client? Can I run bacula with
> the director, the sd and the fd all on the same physical machine?
>

> What is the best way of installing bacula? Can I use a packed
> service (such as apt-get) or is it better to download the actual
> tar.gz file from the homepage? Do I need to install anything
> additional after the bacula installation (like sql)?
>

> Thanks a million in advance!
>

> *Echnaton Birkmann*
>
> */I-/**/NEW/**/ /**/Communicative Solutions GmbH/*
>
> Am Anger
>
> I-New Building
>
> A-7210 Mattersburg
>
> Office:  +43 2626 20720
>
> Mobile.: +43 676 42 24 962
>
> Fax:      +43 2626 20720.1
>
> /online: //www.inew-cs.com <http://www.inew-cs.com>/

> Vegas, Nevada. The future of the web can't happen without you.
> Join us at MIX09 to help pave the way to the Next Web now. Learn
> more and register at

Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann
Sandstr. 6, 49080 Osnabrück