Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to manually overwrite a tape within the retention period?

2008-12-15 11:58:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to manually overwrite a tape within the retention period?
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: andreas AT krummrich DOT org
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:54:55 -0500
>> > The problem is, that I only have one volume in the full backup pool
>>
>> I would say this is a problem. It is never wise to only have 1 tape in
>> a pool.
>
> Why ist hat a problem? One full backup and four incremental backups.

You should always have at least 1 full backup on bacula volumes at all
times. Each week when bacula is doing the full backup you have no
backups. If the machine died (hard disk crash) then your data will be
lost.

>> > Is there a way to mark a volume as over writable that I do not need
>> to take
>> > care of that?
>> >

>> purge volume
>>
>> in a bacula console and follow the prompts
>
> Is it still possible, after I purged the volume, but need to restore files,
> before the next full backup starts?

As long as you have not written anything to the volume you can recover
individual files with bextract or reimport the entire volume to the
catalog with bscan.

John