Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Time for change

2008-12-09 14:02:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Time for change
From: thing <thing AT thing.dyndns DOT org>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 07:40:45 +1300
Normally I would say,

1)  Performance generally ie cpu hit is not a huge issue IMHO, especially with todays dual and quad core cpus...and of course ram is dirt cheap.
2)  For me the big issues is Ive lost software raid sets from power failures ....for a backup partition that's probably no biggee....unless of course your data partition and your backup partition are both software raided...and you loose both at once...

>>From whats posted the backup system is seperate from the production servers, in which case software raid would be fine IMHO. If its lost, the data should be available on tape and on the production servers....the proviso is that you backup to disk overnight and then immediately spool to tape..which could be during the day.

regards

Steven

Jeff Kalchik wrote:
Hello,

  I am currently running Ubuntu.  The bacula director and sd are on this
box.  I have bacula configured to spool to this box, and then it goes
directly to tape. I want to change how I am backing up. I would like to
have some period of time of disk backups, and have them
moved/migrated/copied to tape.

Should I consider linux software raid. or use a hardware raid adapter?
If software does the cpu choice have much of an impact?

I am thinking of configuring the disk as follows:
  One OS and database disk, maybe a mirror
  Two disks in raid 0 for spooling, and recovering
  Three or more disks in raid 5 for the sd storage.

Thoughts or comments on this?

*NEVER* use  software RAID if you can avoid it.  Software RAID puts a
pretty good hit right on your CPU.

Jeff Kalchik