Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bscan Desirables

2008-12-04 23:46:03
Subject: [Bacula-users] bscan Desirables
From: Glen Davison <glen.davison AT sirca.org DOT au>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 15:42:32 +1100

Dear Bacula Users,

A wish-list, and a couple of small questions:

a) When you give bscan a list of tapes with -V, it works its way through them one by one.  But if it hits an error on one of the tapes, it gives up and throws away ALL of the previously scanned tapes.  ie. nothing gets written into the catalog.  Could it update the catalog: at a sensible place in each tape; at the end of each job; or update with what it has found to be good so far, at least on the previous good tapes, to mitigate this?  ie. save you from having to re-scan the previous dozen tapes again.

b) I notice that in version 2.4.2, bscan -V tape1|tape2|etc... now manages to unload the tape it has finished, which is a nice step forward.  Is it likely that it will one day load the next one too?

c) The docs on www.bacula.org mention problems with bscanning across tape boundaries:

"If you do not specify all necessary Volumes on a single bscan command, bscan will not be able to correctly restore the records that span two volumes. In other words, it is much better to specify two or three volumes on a single bscan command rather than run bscan two or three times, each with a single volume."

Is this still accurate?  I spent some time experimenting with bscan, and from what I could tell bscanning an individual volume seemed to be problem-free.  If it is still true, that could also relate to a) above.

Thanks

Glen

--
Glen Davison                      davo AT sirca.org DOT au
SIRCA Pty Ltd                      Ph (02) 9236 9133