Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Data Loss on Tapes

2008-12-03 01:46:35
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Data Loss on Tapes
From: Glen Davison <glen.davison AT sirca.org DOT au>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 17:44:01 +1100

Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk> wrote on 03/12/2008 12:31:42 AM:

> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Glen Davison wrote:
>
> > The symptoms vary - sometimes there is an error at some point through the
> > tape, and sometimes (suspiciously often) it seems to have lost the bacula
> > label right at the start.  These tapes were new, and the rate of these
> > errors is far higher than I can attribute to bad tape manufacture, etc.
>
> Scsi errors spring to mind.
>
> Are your cables within spec?
> Are your terminators in good condition?
>
> What kind of tapes are you using?
>
> If these are all ok, then suspicion should fall on the tape drive.
>
> > This system has had a history of problems, particularly scsi problems.
>
> What kind of interface card are you using?
>
> AB

Alan, thanks for the reply.

I am pretty confident of cables and terminators.  The card is more suspect, but I think the most likely culprit is the tape library itself - possibly the firmware on the drives.  I've just had a protracted battle with this library, and a parallel ongoing support call open with HP.  It wasn't pretty.  ;(

The tapes are SDLT300/600, library is HP MSL6026.  Card is some sort of aic79xx. (lsmod)  I can't remember exact model number - I've changed it a couple of times.

"Jeff Kalchik" <jkalchik AT frontiernet DOT net> wrote on 03/12/2008 02:15:43 AM:

> > This system has had a history of problems, particularly scsi problems.
>
> Unfortunately, I'd suspect that this is the real source of your problems.
> Until you have a stable SCSI bus, anything sent down it is suspect.  I
> wouldn't even be sure the data got written to tape.
>
> Jeff "who's fighting loader errors on an L500" Kalchik

Jeff, I sure hope you're wrong, but that does make sense.  :(
It does mean though that I must have been having SCSI problems for longer than I realised.  Some of these tapes go back many months.

Thanks for responses, guys.

Glen

--
Glen Davison                      davo AT sirca.org DOT au
SIRCA Pty Ltd                      Ph (02) 9236 9133