Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bacula hang waiting for storage

2008-12-02 10:04:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bacula hang waiting for storage
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
To: Nils Blanck-Wehde <nils.blanck-wehde AT backofficeservice DOT biz>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 17:00:58 +0200
On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 04:48:24PM +0200, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 03:30:06PM +0100, Nils Blanck-Wehde wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Just wanted to let you know that I came across the exact same error
> >
> > Error writing final EOF to tape. This Volume may not be readable.
> >
> > a couple of times with 2.4.2 using a Quantum DLT VS1 drive connected to
> > Adaptec 29160LP. I don't think that the tape is really defective as
> > bacula states. I could do working backups on these tapes later. Maybe
> > its a problem with positioning (forwarding) the tape to the right position?
> > If there is still interest in this issue I might search for the
> > corresponding job-output.
> >

> I also think the tape itself is fine, since this has happened many times
> now.. I don't think all of the tapes are bad.
>
> I'm also using Adaptec 29160 SCSI HBA to connect to the tape library.
>
> I wonder what would be the best way to debug this..
>
> Now after bacula hang the first time I'm not able to get it running again..
> it always just hangs when I do "sta storage".. and nothing happens for real.
>
> I guess the tape drive/library is in some bad state? Or the SCSI driver?
>
> Let's see if rebooting the server gets it running again..

Hmm.. it looks like rebooting the server didn't solve this problem.

Now after the reboot, when I start a job (copy uncopied jobs from disk to
tape), and then check the status of the (tape) storage, I get the same
hang as earlier:

Device status:
Autochanger "IBM-LTO3-AutoChanger" with devices:
   "IBM-LTO3-Drive" (/dev/nst0)
Device "FSDevice0" (/mnt/backup1/pool00) is not open.
Device "FSDevice1" (/mnt/backup1/pool01) is not open.
Device "FSDevice2" (/mnt/backup1/pool02) is not open.
Device "FSDevice3" (/mnt/backup1/pool03) is not open.
Device "FSDevice4" (/mnt/backup1/pool04) is mounted with:
    Volume:      Pool4-Vol-0102
    Pool:        *unknown*
    Media type:  File4
    Total Bytes Read=0 Blocks Read=0 Bytes/block=0
    Positioned at File=0 Block=0
Device "IBM-LTO3-Drive" (/dev/nst0) is not open.
    Device is being initialized.
    Drive 0 status unknown.
====

Used Volume status:

<hangs here, nothing happens in bconsole>

"Device is being initialized".. so I guess the tape drive has gone into some
bad state?

I don't think the tape drive is bad, since it was actually just replaced
with a new one. I had the same problems with the old tape drive.

"mtx -f /dev/sg3 status" seems to work fine.. the tape drive is empty, no
tapes in it..

Any ideas? I guess I have to reboot the tape library..

-- Pasi