Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Re ducing the size of the database.

2008-10-21 04:59:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Re ducing the size of the database.
From: John Huttley <John AT mib-infotech.co DOT nz>
To: ebollengier <eric AT eb.homelinux DOT org>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 21:53:30 +1300
Run 'vacuum full'

but this will lock the database as it needs exclusive use of the tables.

After that, perform a reindex.

--John

ebollengier wrote:
If it's 40,000 rows of the filename or path table, each rows are something
like 10 or 15 bytes long....

If you want to reduce the size of your database, you need to review your
retention periode or to prune jobs (ie, remove backup content information
from the catalog).

See the manual for more information (Automatic Volume Recycling chapter)

shahhe wrote:

This is probably a question for a PostgreSQL group, but I though users
using bacula may have come across this problem.

I am using PostgreSQL for the database, last week when I checked, my
database size was 10GB. I removed one month worth of volumes from the
bacula database and ran dbcheck command. It deleted about 40,000 rows from
the database, but the database size was still 10GB. Next, I ran postgresql
vacuumdb (vacuumdb -q -d bacula -z -f)command to reclaim the space used by
deleted rows, but the database size is still 10GB. How do I reduce the
size of the database?

I also backup the catalog every night using pgdump command. Before I
deleted the 40,000 rows the backup file size was 800MB, after deleting
40,000 rows the backup file size is still 800MB.

# df -h /baculaDB
/dev/mapper/VolGroup01-baculaDB
                      99G   11G   83G  12% /baculaDB

bacula=# select pg_database.datname,
pg_size_pretty(pg_database_size(pg_database.datname)) as size from
pg_database;
 datname  |  size
template1 | 4272 kB
template0 | 4272 kB