Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] I/O error during label

2008-09-13 17:04:22
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] I/O error during label
From: Allan Black <Allan.Black AT btconnect DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:04:04 +0100
Timo Neuvonen wrote:
>>> I see this I/O error after every label attempt.  Everything seems to be
>>> fine, but I just want to know if this is expected behavior or anything
>>> to watch out for.
>> This will happen on every never written tape because you can not read
>> a blank tape.
> So it does happen, but in my opinion it should not happen.

Unfortunately, there is no way to tell the difference between a tape which
is genuinely blank, and a tape which contains data but has a bad block
right at the beginning of the tape.

The tape drive (most drives, anyway) will not differentiate; it will
generate an identical "Media Error" sense code, in both cases.

Allan