Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog size problem

2008-09-10 09:02:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog size problem
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bfoo33 AT yahoo.co DOT uk
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 09:02:32 -0400
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula totals 34 MB, this contains the various
> FileName/Job/JobMedia/Pool MYI/MYD files, which is I presume the actual
> database, and the sizes I would expect.
>
> The Vol_Catalog file defined in my config is a single file of by now ~4 GB
> (stored on Samba mounted NAS share).

Okay. Now I understand what you are talking about. You are backing up
the catalog to a file volume named Vol_Catalog.

> The 11 MB is the size I get when I do a mysqldump (presumably from the
> database from /var/lib/mysql/bacula/*), and also happens to be the delta by
> which the size of the Vol_Catalog file is increasing every day.
>
> So it looks like the daily database is dumped to the catalog and never purged?

If you do not limit the size of this volume or the use duration it
will never purge. Since bacula will only purge a volume that is marked
Used or Full. This is the same with any volume in bacula.

See here for more info:
http://bacula.org/en/rel-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html#14746

And for my volume that contains the catalogs I limit the size of the
volume to 2GB and I have a 30 day retention period so I have a few
volumes that are in use. My catalog dump after compression is 1.7GB.
For me this is no problem because I have allocated 200GB of raid 6 for
just file volumes for bacula and the only thing I use them for at the
moment is catalogs and cvs the other 17+ TB of data I have mostly
backed it up is on LTO2 tape with my 2 drive 24 slot autochanger.

John