Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Some help with this configuration

2008-06-09 20:24:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Some help with this configuration
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 19:14:52 +0300
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 12:44 AM, Reynier Perez Mira <rperezm AT uci DOT cu>
> wrote:
>> Hi every,
>> I'm trying to configure Bacula and need some criteria from people in the
>> list. I need to Backup the same clients 3 times: in a primary server, in
>> a tape device (attached to the primary server) and in a secondary server.
>> My way:
>>
>> bacula-dir-jobdefs.conf
>> ------------------------
>> JobDefs {
>>  Name = "SalvaIP1JDPrimary"
>>  Type = Backup
>>  Level = Incremental
>>  Client = SalvaIP1FD
>>  FileSet = "SalvaIP1FS"
>>  Schedule = "IPBackupCycle"
>>  Storage = IPBackupStorage
>>  Messages = Standard
>>  Pool = IPBackupPool
>>  Priority = 10
>>  }
>>  JobDefs {
>>  Name = "SalvaIP1JDSecondary"
>>  Type = Backup
>>  Level = Incremental
>>  Client = SalvaIP1FD
>>  FileSet = "SalvaIP1FS"
>>  Schedule = "IPBackupCycle"
>>  Storage = UCIBackupStorage
>>  Messages = Standard
>>  Pool = UCIBackupPool
>>  Priority = 10
>>  }
>>
>> bacula-dir-jobs.conf
>> ------------------------
>> Job {
>>  Name = "SalvaIP1FDPrimaryJob"
>>  Enabled = yes
>>  JobDefs = "SalvaIP1JDPrimary"
>>  Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/working//SalvaIP1.bsr"
>> }
>> Job {
>>  Name = "SalvaIP1FDSecondaryJob"
>>  Enabled = yes
>>  JobDefs = "SalvaIP1JDSecondary"
>>  Write Bootstrap = "/var/bacula/working//SalvaIP1.bsr"
>> }
>>
>> As you can see only I change the Storages from IPBackupStorage to
>> UCIBackupStorage and also the Pools from IPBackupPool to UCIBackupPool.
>> Wich are the better way to accomplish this?
>>
> I would use only 1 jobdef and 3 jobs per client . Do that by putting
> all the common stuff in the jobdef and the different stuff in the job.

Depending how the jobs are going to be scheduled... if they all want to be
run concurrently, the above is fine. But if the jobs are to be run at
different times, say all clients at 1am, 2 am and 3 am to different servers,
it might be more descriptive to specify the pool and storage in schedule
overrides. This would require only one "jobdef" (contains almost
everything), one "job" per client (specifies only the client) and one common
"schedule" (three different times per night, different overrides for each)

Anyway, there are too many "right" ways to do things like this...

--
Timo