Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Packaging bacula

2008-06-06 00:15:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Packaging bacula
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 07:14:45 +0300
"Blake Dunlap" <blake AT ISDN DOT NET> kirjoitti viestissä
news:6BA3FD54BFAAEE43A4CDED5420159997152BDB9976 AT bnawsvmsx04.BNA01.ISDN DOT
NET...
> I realize this is only partially on list topic but I think its close
> enough to ask anyway. Could anyone send me (or reply) with a quick howto
> on what packaging Bacula for a Centos5 client would entail? Unfortunately
> I am lacking in some of my linux knowledge, and building rpms is one of
> those areas.

Usually, Centos 5 rpms are available in SourceForge. I saw somewhere a note
that for now the newest 2.4.0 rpms are in hold, waiting until the
responsible person (Scott?) returns from vacation. I got an idea they could
be expected around the June 16th.

AFAIK, the actual job "requiring brains" is fine-tuning the rpm spec file
for the new release, and putting everything into source rpm.
Basically, writing the spec file is like developing an algorithm and writing
the code to implement it, so there are no simple instructions how to do it.
After that, building the binary packages is relatively straightforward work
mostly requiring digital muscles (a.k.a cpu time) -as long as the packages
build as expected (without build-time errors, which would lead back to
fine-tuning the spec file or even worse, the source code)

--
TiN