Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Lost label?

2008-06-03 00:55:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Lost label?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: David Hobley <david.hobley AT mionegroup DOT com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 00:54:13 -0400
On Jun 2, 2008, at 11:16 PM, David Hobley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have just installed bacula (2.2.8) across our network - excellent
> product btw. It has been running without issue for a week or so,
> but last night, I started getting the following error:
>
> 02-Jun 23:53 backup-sd JobId 66: Marking Volume "ProdBackup" in
> Error in Catalog.

This is the problem.  What was before this?  Why was it marked in error?

A volume in error cannot be appended to.  This is the problem.

> 02-Jun 23:53 backup-sd JobId 66: Job DB1Job.2008-06-02_23.05.07
> waiting. Cannot find any appendable volumes.

This is what you need to understand.  Appendable volumes.

> Please use the "label"  command to create a new Volume for:
>     Storage:      "ProdStorage" (/opt/bacula/prod)
>     Pool:         Prod
>     Media type:   File

Translation: Can't find an appendable volume, please give me a new one.

> Nothing had changed in the config files except for a new client
> being added (a test machine - purely so I could restore a backup
> from our prod database machine (db2).
>
> If I run the label command, I can't use the existing label because
> it tells me it already exists. I am backing up to disk currently,
> not tape and there is plenty of disk space available. The files all
> exists and are accessible. I am confused.
>
> How do I convince the system that actually the label hasn't changed
> and that is should continue doing what it has been for the last week?

The system does not think the label has changed.  There are no
appendable volumes.

You can use the 'update volume' command to change volume status, but
don't do that until you answer the above questions.

--
Dan Langille -- http://www.langille.org/