Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Disk backup volume recycling/autopruning problems

2008-06-02 09:45:14
Subject: [Bacula-users] Disk backup volume recycling/autopruning problems
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 16:45:04 +0300
Hi list!

In the process of testing my new bacula system and I ran into a problem with
automatic volume recycling/autopruning..

I have pool set up like this:

Pool {
  Name = Pool1
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes
  Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
  Use Volume Once = yes
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 256M
  Volume Retention = 1 min
  Maximum Volumes = 8
  Label Format = "Pool1-Vol-"
  Storage = FileStorage1
}

Storage {
  Name = FileStorage1
  Address = sd.dom.tld
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "password"
  Device = FSDevice1
  Media Type = File1
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 1
}

The pool is set to have small volumes (256 MB) for testing purposes.. and also
the
number of volumes (8) is limited so small number so I'm able to test the volume
recycling / autopruning easily.

I'm running the jobs like this from bconsole: "run <name_of_the_job> level=Full"

Everything works fine until I have all 8 volumes in use.. after that bacula
doesn't recycle/prune the oldest (or any for that matter) volume..

*run <name_of_the_job> level=Full
Run Backup job
JobName:  <name_of_the_job>
Level:    Full
Client:   server1-fd
FileSet:  DefaultWindowsC
Pool:     Pool1 (From Job resource)
Storage:  FileStorage1 (From Pool resource)
When:     2008-06-02 16:25:30
OK to run? (yes/mod/no): yes
Job queued. JobId=6

JobId 6: Start Backup JobId 6, Job=server1.2008-06-02_16.25.08
JobId 6: Using Device "FSDevice1"
JobId 6: Job server1.2008-06-02_16.25.08 waiting. Cannot find any appendable
volumes.
Please use the "label"  command to create a new Volume for:
        Storage:      "FSDevice1" (/mnt/backup1/pool1)
        Pool:         Pool1
        Media type:   File1

Output of "list media pool=Pool1" is in the url below because the formatting
got messed up when I pasted it to this email:

http://pasik.reaktio.net/bacula-cannot-find-any-appendable-volumes.txt

Checking that it looks like all of the 8 volumes are either Full or Used, they
have
recycle flag set and the retention period is 60 seconds.. what's wrong?

Why can't bacula prune+recycle these volumes? Is there something else that
makes bacula not recycle those volumes..

I'm running Bacula 2.3.28 (SVN from a couple of days ago) atm..

Thanks!

-- Pasi