Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Regression Dashboard

2008-05-31 13:07:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Regression Dashboard
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Thomas Mueller <thans4u AT yahoo DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 19:08:52 +0200
Hello,

On Friday 30 May 2008 13:07:25 Thomas Mueller wrote:
> hi there
>
> i've got a intel dual dual core with 4GB ram box standing around waiting
>   for some workload.
>
> i could install a small number of linux distros as virtual machines.

Nice, we would appreciate that.

> just tell me which ones are needed or on the wishlist. then i try to set
> up the whole thing.

Well, it is hard to answer.  I just looked up the top 11 distros as cited by
Distrowatch, and they say:

1. Ubuntu
2. openSUSE
3. Fedora
4. Debian
5. Mandriva
6. PCLinuxOS
7. Mepis
8. Knoppix
9. Slackware
10. Gentoo
11. FreeBSD

Currently we have some coverate for Ubuntu, openSUSE, Fedora, Mandrive,
FreeBSD, and CentOS (RHEL).

As there are a lot of Debian servers out there, that would probably be my
first choice for having regression testing.  Then I would say Slackware and
Gentoo which are not covered at all.

Of course, if you can get your hands on a Solaris for i386, that would be
really nice to see tested.

Actually almost anything would be a help.  I recently implemented regression
on an AMD64 and was surprised to see it show up a good number of regression
failures -- apparently it found subtle timing related bugs in Bacula, which I
have now fixed :-)

Thanks for helping with the project.

Best regards,

Kern

PS: Just to let everyone know, I do look at the results on a daily basis, and
if anything appears to be more than a one time quirk, I normally enable
additional debugging in the test, which will get automatically turned on for
everyone the following night.  This has allowed me to identify and fix a
large number of problems without even talking to the people running the
tests :-)