Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Simultaneously backing up into one (disk) pool and then to a tape

2008-05-30 10:05:40
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Simultaneously backing up into one (disk) pool and then to a tape
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen <pasik AT iki DOT fi>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:04:59 +0300
On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:35:21AM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:05:33PM +0300, Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> > Hello list!
> >
> > I'm just planning my Bacula environment and I have a couple of questions..
> >
> > Description of what I want to do:
> >
> > - Backup multiple servers first to disk (all backups go to the same disk
> > pool),
> >   and then move/copy from disk to tape.
> >     - I have read about Migration support in bacula, so that's one
> >       possibility if "Copy jobs" (in bacula 2.3 beta) doesn't work
> >       well enough yet..
> >
> > - I want to have just one pool, because making separate pool for each client
> >   would be too much work.. too many clients/servers for that.
> >

> Or actually I guess I need two pools for the automatic volume labeling to
> work.. one for full backups, and one for incremental backups..
>
> It feels like a much easier solution to have a common pools shared with all
> clients.. when the amount of clients gets big.
>
> > - Run backup jobs of multiple servers simultaneously to make the backup
> > window
> >   shorter.

I just realized multiple concurrent backups jobs is not going to work with the
"one file/volume for each client" strategy.. because the disk device is a
virtual
"tape drive", it can only have a single tape (=volume/file) mounted and in
use..  damn.

Is there any way to get around this?

I really don't want to create separate device for each client to back up..

Maybe I have to group the clients somehow, and have one disk device per group
so then I could run <number of groups> jobs simultaneously.. hmm.

> > Then the questions:
> >
> > 1) Are there any limitations about running multiple jobs at the same time
> >    backing up to the same (disk) pool?

To answer to myself.. yes, then you can't have separate volume/file for each
client/job.

> > 2) Does automatic volume labeling/recycling have problems with multiple jobs
> >    being ran at the same time (simultaneously) ?

Yes, disk device can only have a single volume/file mounted and in use at a
time..

> > 3) "Use Volume Once = yes" should make it possible to have a separate volume
> >    per job per server? (like described above)

Yep, but at the same time it prevents you from using multiple concurrent
backup jobs..

> > 4) What's the easiest way to "keep the disk full of backups but still have
> >    room for new backups" ?

I'm not sure about this yet.. I guess monitoring the size of backups and
modifying the retention time based on that to maximize the disk usage and
still keeping enough free at all times :)

-- Pasi