Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup grows and grows

2008-05-28 15:18:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Catalog backup grows and grows
From: Steve Campbell <campbell AT cnpapers DOT com>
To: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:17:37 -0400

John Drescher wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 8:07 AM, Steve Campbell <campbell AT cnpapers DOT
> com> wrote:
>
>> I run the default backup of my catalog twice a day, along with a lot of
>> other jobs. The size of the catalog grows slightly every day and now is
>> about 1.8 GB.
>>
> Is this the database size or the backup? If the backup are you using
> compression?
>

>> I keep a six month rotation of full monthly backups, along
>> with some weekly differential and daily incremental backups. As the
>> 6-month-old monthly backups are purged, shouldn't the catalog size drop?
>>
>> I have not reached the 6 month mark since I started using Bacua, so no
>> full backup volumes have been purged as yet. I am asking only to ensure
>> I am not forgetting to do something maintenance-related.
>>

> We have been using bacula since late 2003 or early 2004 and to this
> point we have 4,500,000 files, 38 clients and 10336 completed jobs.
> The catablog database (postrgresql) is 16.38GB (size reported in
> bacula-web) but when compressed (during the catalog backup) it is less
> than 800MB.
>
> To reduce the size of the database you may need to compact it
> (database specific - VACUUM in postgresql) and possibly run the bacula
> dbcheck program. I do not do either very often because the server has
> 100s of GB free disk space and these operations take hours to
> complete..
>
> John

John,

Thanks for the info.

My main concern is that I might have been overlooking something after
all of the pruning that would have made the DB as large as it is. I'm
not really concerned at the moment with the size, but more concerned
about the reduction after pruning.

The sizes are the backup sizes;  the File DB data table is only about
7MB and the Filename DB table is only about 4 MB with index and data.

Thanks again

Steve