Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Automagically recycle volumes

2008-05-23 14:43:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Automagically recycle volumes
From: Ryan Novosielski <novosirj AT umdnj DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:42:45 -0400

RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
> Hello all i have been tiring to get a similar senerio to the recent
> post from Matt West on this list to work.  This is what i have set up
> and working so far.
>
> Full backup once per month at the first of the month at 02:00
> Incremental backup every other day at 02:00
>
> I want Bacula to auto create a volume which it does quite nicely with
> this pool entry and some storage stuff like below.
>
> In the Pool LabelFormat = "RogerB-"
>
> In Storage LabelMedia = yes;
>

> Basically I would like to have one volume for each month and a
> maximum of 2 volumes so i have added the following to my Client entry
>

> File Retention = 1 months Job Retention = 1 months AutoPrune = yes
>
> and this to my pool entry
>
> Recycle = yes AutoPrune = yes Volume Retention = 22 days Volume Use
> Duration = 1 months Maximum Volumes = 2
>
> To me all this seems to make sense should work, and i have check the
> Docs many times. However Bacula auto creates one volume and keeps
> adding to it for over a month does not seem to notice that the Volume
> use Duration has passed.

Do llist volume=<name> -- my suspicion is that you made the changes to
the pool config AFTER you created the volumes. This will not work, as
the pool is really just a template for new volume creation. You'll need
to do update volumes from pool (part of the update command) to freshen
the volumes with new pool settings.

> How do i check to see how old Bacula thinks a Volume is? I have
> checked the file creation date on the OS and they are older than one
> month.  Also there are more than one month of jobs being listed.  I
> have messed with the update volume and query commands but still
> cannot make things work.

Same command -- it provides you all of the information on a volume and
is usually invaluable to find out what's going on. Post the results to
the list and you'll probably get some help.

> I have manually tried marking the volume as used and Bacula creates
> another one quit e nicely.  When I manually mark the second volume as
> used rather than recycling the first volume as i would expect Bacula
> prompts me to label another.

You'll have to see why that might be by listing the params.

> I have tried adding Recycle Oldest Volume = YES but still bacula asks
> me to label another.

- --