Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Minor SD Feature Request

2008-05-10 03:25:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Minor SD Feature Request
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 09:25:51 +0200
On Friday 09 May 2008 19:47:07 Blake Dunlap wrote:
> Item n:   Find Autochanger/Library empty slots when unloading tapes instead
> of assuming last slot valid Origin: Blake Dunlap (blake AT isdn DOT net)
>   Date:   05/09/2008
>
>   What:   Have bacula-sd update slot usage information / locate an empty
> slot before attempting to unload tapes from drives.
>
>   Why:    Fix requiring intervention due to autochangers that do not
> reserve slots when tapes in drives, or users who forget to update slot
> database when changing tapes.

Hello Blake,

One part of Bacula that I would like to improve just a bit (not too much
coding for the moment) for the next release is the information returned for
Autochangers.  Currently, it seems to me that the sysadmin has very little
information about the actual state of the autochanger via the console
interface.  Although your suggestion seems to be a bit more than simple
reporting of the status, I am interested in it.  The problem is that I don't
understand what you are asking for well enough to possibly implement
something.

Could you be much more explicit with what you want, perhaps giving an explicit
example of what happens now and what you would like to see happen.  Don't
forget that at the current time, Bacula has no concept of changing the
slot -- for example, when a Volume is loaded by Bacula from Slot 2 into the
drive, it *must* be returned to the same Slot.  Changing this behavior is a
project that would require significant design and thought and is probably not
something we would want to implement in the near future.

On the other hand, I think there is a lot of need and possibility for making
Bacula much smarter at automatically recognizing that a Volume is in a
different Slot from what is written in the database.  Currently such volumes
are marked in error (if I remember right), but we could consider simply
correcting the info in the database.

Best regards,

Kern