Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] simulating base jobs

2008-05-02 09:13:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] simulating base jobs
From: Silver Salonen <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 16:13:12 +0300
On Thursday 01 May 2008 04:29, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> 30.04.2008 15:30, Silver Salonen wrote:
> > Can anyone think of a better solution to the problem?
>
> No simple solution... what you could think about is using a program
> like backup PC to collect the data in a central site, using hard links
> as far as possible, and then backing up that repository.

OK, I've heard Backup PC being mentioned as a pretty good program several
times, but I suspect starting learning the program may be more difficult than
creating some scripts with rsync and tar.

Another scenario I thought of:
1) Share all the folders for backing them up via mount_smbfs
2) Mount the first "template" folder (eg. //win/template) somewhere
(eg. /mnt/template)
3) Mount a changed copy of the folder (//win/copy1) to some other place
(eg. /mnt/copy1)
4) Get list of all the files that should be considered for full backup with
tar (and parse the output): rsync -avn /mnt/copy1 /mnt/template
5) Include the listed files and folders in a full backup being done with tar
6) Repeat steps 3-5 with all the copies of the folder

Differential backups of the copies could then be done with tar too.

But anyway.. it seems there's no place for Bacula in this process, and I can't
think of any useful function for it. Maybe only for double-backuping the
files, running the scripts and notificating about failures of these etc.

But another scenario with Bacula storing the files and folders:
1..4) The same as above
5) Rsync listed files to some temporary resource (eg. /spool/copy1)
6) Backup /backup/spool/copy1 with Bacula as usually (fulls as well as
incrementals)

Any thoughts on these? :)
To my mind the 2nd variant is quite.. well.. what I need..

--
Silver