Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] tape use period counted from when use should have started instead of when it did

2008-04-11 15:49:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] tape use period counted from when use should have started instead of when it did
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:49:04 +0200
Hi,

11.04.2008 11:08, Tilman Schmidt wrote:
> If a job has been waiting for a tape to be mounted for longer than the
> tape's maximum use duration, once the tape is finally mounted it is
> immediately marked as "Used" because of "Max configured use duration
> exceeded." which is surprising because it hasn't actually been in use
> at all. Apparently Bacula counts the volume's "use duration" from the
> start of the job even if the volume hasn't been present during all that
> time. I do not think that is sensible.

Difficult scenario... the behavior you observe is correct from Baculas
point of view: Once the tape is reserved it counts as 'in use'. It
might be sensible to not count times when the tape is not actually
available, but I suspect that the in use timestamp needs to be set at
the moment a tape is reserved. I don't know...

Probably it would be good if you created a sample with shor times
where you can show what's happening and report that along with a bug
report.

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann