BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devsm

2017-07-21 12:42:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] I'd like to make a suggestion to the BPC devsm
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2017 02:40:57 +1000

On 22/7/17 01:38, Bzzzz wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jul 2017 09:27:41 -0500
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

The quick fix here is to use a Mac with an external or network drive
for time machine.  If you aren't familiar with it, it does exactly
Among many other, Apple products are to stay out of the company.

what you suggested with easy access for the user and filesystem tricks
for efficiency.  For a more enterprise flavor, NetApp fileservers have
I do not use that, all of our servers are home build, using such
things as Debian Linux, ZFS, XFS, GlusterFS, etc; this holds the staff
technical level to a very good skills level and avoid being
stuck/proprietary dependent/contract dependent  when really bad things
happen.

My first goal was to avoid current separated servers for snapshots, but
all of the given answers are driving me toward a simple switch between
snapshots and BPC on the same servers.
Sometimes, you need other's view to see what was obvious!

Thanks to all for your answers/comments ;)

I think you want both snapshots on the local server, as well as BPC on a remote server. They each serve a different need. You might also want a image copy on a remote server, which is yet another different requirement.

Regards,
Adam