BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Has anyone had an issue with "open files"?

2017-06-04 22:13:53
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Has anyone had an issue with "open files"?
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: bobkatz AT digido DOT com, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2017 21:13:13 -0500

On 2017-06-04 16:38, Bob Katz wrote:

I'm just asking to be thorough. I don't think the documentation mentions “open files”. Over the years I've used different backup systems with mechanisms that ensured open files would be copied correctly, both on Mac and PC.

My main concern is a Lightroom database, which is always open if Lightroom is open. And in fact, before you back up the database, the application first quits. I suppose I could force Lightroom to quit during the overnight periods when backuppc is backing up.

BK

Backing up open files in and of itself isn't a problem on any operating system other than Windows, since file locking doesn't exclusively prevent reads by other processes. On Windows, on the other hand, an attempt to read an open file will result in failure, meaning that persistently open files will fail to be backed up at all.

Windows' mechanism for solving this is through the use of shadow copies managed by the operating system, through mechanisms that can be specific to the type of file. This also generally solves the issue of file consistency, as these mechanisms can coordinate with whatever is holding the locks on the file in the first place.

While *nixes don't have the readability issue the Windows does, they still have the read consistency issue, to varying degrees, and the solution is, similarly, specific to whatever it takes to make the file consistent for the duration of the backup. This is often best coordinated through BackupPC's mechanisms to align the quiescent period with the period the files are being backed up.