BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up Windows 7 Pro, not enough permissions

2017-05-15 10:59:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Backing up Windows 7 Pro, not enough permissions
From: Michael Stowe <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 09:58:08 -0500
On 2017-05-15 05:20, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> Server is Debian 8.7, backuppc version 3.3.0-2+deb8u1
>
> Backing up Linux computers works.
>
> Have not been able to backup Windows 7 Professional. I have on windows
> local backuppc user, that user belongs to groups administrator and
> backup operator. The share C is shared to network and user backuppc
> has full rights.
>
> Still the home directories of other users are empty. Only
> C/Users/backuppc has content.
>
> So, Backuppc server can read files from the client, but not all files.
> Seems I can not figure any  more ways to give permissions to backuppc.
>
> That Windows 7 is client in workgroup, the server is a Linux host
> running Samba 4.2.14. Maybe this is not relevant.

There are a few important things to understand here.  One is that not
all transport mechanisms are created equal when backing up Windows
systems.  From what you've said, I deduce that you're using samba to
back up Windows 7, which is important, because it has permission and
semantic implications.

First, permissions.  I note that Windows permissions can be complex and
there's no inherent concept of a "root" account.  I note that shares
permission and files permission are different things and must both be
granted for samba to be able to read these files.  I note that Microsoft
has recently added permissions that block smb/cifs from accessing
certain system files or performing actions that might be considered
"unsafe," which may be an issue, depending on what you're attempting to
back up.

Second, is file semantics.  Windows isn't particularly good about noting
what's wrong (and this also varies by transport) so that it's possible
to get what looks like a permission error when what's actually happening
is a semantic error.  Here I note that Windows can have files open
exclusively (Outlook files and database files are common examples) which
means that no other process, including backup processes, are allowed to
read these files and are denied access.  Before leaving the semantic
topic, I'll note that Windows also has the concepts of directory
junctions and redirection; since that doesn't appear to be the case for
something in your own directory.  But don't expect to be able to back up
your own registry files directly through samba, either.

At any rate, these reasons are why I personally switched to a
combination of rsync and vshadow (to handle open files) and put together
a package to install the proper files on the client side.