BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] get host by script

2017-04-24 11:35:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] get host by script
From: Nicholas Hall <ngharo AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 15:34:47 +0000
On Wed, Apr 12, 2017 at 5:12 PM higuita <higuita AT gmx DOT net> wrote:
Hi

        I want to backup some cluster that needs a script to know what
machine is the master. So this mean that i can not use the
ClientNameAlias directly, but i'm using it to define the cluster name
so i can use more freedom for the backup name.

        As backuppc uses the netbios if the dns fails, I'm trying to
"abuse" the NmbLookupFindHostCmd and by running manually i can see it is
working... the problem is that via backuppc, it then tried to do the
reverse NmbLookup for that IP and of course, it fails. As the $host in
NmbLookupCmd is the IP, i can not know what cluster it should return for
the reverse lookup. So the end result is the error:

"Dump failed: host clusterA has mismatching netbios name"

        So is there any workaround for this? What other people that
need to get the host by a script do?

        @Craig Barratt: How about adding a option to disable the
reverse netbios lookup?

Thanks
Higuita

I do something similar. The key is to set $Conf{NmbLookupCmd} to empty string.  There is a condition in BackupPC_Dump that checks  $Conf{NmbLookupCmd} eq "" and returns without doing the mismatch check.

Now that I think about it, this might be a bug.  $Conf{FixedIPNetBiosNameCheck} reads like it's supposed to control whether or not to perform this check.  The entire condition reads:

return if ( $hostIP eq $host && !$Conf{FixedIPNetBiosNameCheck}
      || $Conf{NmbLookupCmd} eq "" );

I think that && should be a ||