BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Buying larger drive

2017-04-05 17:31:11
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Buying larger drive
From: David Williams <dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 19:55:45 +0000
Quick question.  I currently have a 1TB hard drive that I use to back up 2 computers and although this has worked ok for quite a while I need more space so I have ordered a 2TB drive.  I know I can clone the current 1TB drive to the new 2TB drive but is it also possible to just mount the new drive to /var/lib/backuppc and create the necessary directories with the correct ownership and permissions for backuppc to start backing up my 2 computers?  The configuration files are in /etc/backuppc so I am hoping that just mounting the new drive, creating the directories is all I need to do.  Obviously the pervious backups won’t be on the new drive this way and backuppc will (hopefully) start again anew.