BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Updated BackupPC 4 Debian Packages

2017-04-01 10:27:24
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Updated BackupPC 4 Debian Packages
From: Raoul Bhatia <raoul AT bhatia DOT at>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2017 16:26:39 +0200
Hi!

Good news everyone using Debian and it's many derivatives!

I've started to experiment with packaging BackupPC 4 for Debian and
Debian-based distributions like Ubuntu, Mint, etc. and made great
progress.
I've successfully tested this on Ubuntu 16.10/Yakkety and Jack did the
same for Debian 9/Stretch.

Many thanks go out to the prior work that I have build on:
* Ludovic's BackupPC Debian packages work, see
https://packages.qa.debian.org/b/backuppc.html ,
* Jacks's excellent BackupPC 4.0.0beta3 Debian packaging work, see
https://github.com/JackSlateur/backuppc4 , and
* Debian's rsync package, see
https://packages.qa.debian.org/r/rsync.html -> oldstable.

The Current Build Work Flow:
1. Build rsync_bpc via
https://github.com/raoulbhatia/rsync-bpc/tree/DEBIAN
2. Build backuppc-xs via
https://github.com/raoulbhatia/backuppc-xs/tree/DEBIAN
3. Install backuppc-xs package on build host
4a. Add user backuppc [1]
4b. Install SCGI.pm from CPAN, if my local hack does not work for you
:-/ [1]
5. Build backuppc via
https://github.com/raoulbhatia/backuppc/tree/DEBIAN

Build Work Flow:
a. Install the Debian build packages: apt-get install build-essential
fakeroot
b. git clone <URL-from-above>
c. Install the build dependencies (see "Build-Depends" in debian/rules -
I do not know the command to install this from the top of my head right
now)
d. fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us
e. Your package is available one directory above -> "ls ../*deb"

Next Steps:
* Happy if you can build on my work :) Please give me some feedback!
* I can provide packages that work with Ubuntu 16.10 in case you do not
want to build them yourselves.
* If you would know a way to integrate this with a free build-service
that will generate the *.deb artifacts, please let me know / issue a
pull request.
* I will try to discuss with Ludovic reg. how to integrate this into
Debian ASAP.

Cheers,
Raoul
[1] Needs to be addressed