BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrate local data into BackupPC pool for remote client

2016-05-08 04:23:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Migrate local data into BackupPC pool for remote client
From: Johan Ehnberg <johan AT ehnberg DOT net>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 11:04:31 +0300
Hi,

Version 4 supports matching files from the pool.

If you are using version 3, the path has to be the same, so you would
have to process the tar file to match the host to be backed up. This
works fine, I used a similar method here:

http://johan.ehnberg.net/backuppc-pre-loading-seeding-and-migrating-moving-script/

You may be able to use tar with --strip-components to work around tar
extra paths on the fly.

Good luck!

Johan

On 2016-05-06 17:19, cardiganimpatience wrote:
> BackupPC is installed and working great for new hosts. Is there a way to take
> the hundreds of GB from old hosts that exist on the backup server and import
> them into the BackupPC storage pool?
>
> The old backup system uses rsync to dump all files to a local disk on the
> same server where BackupPC is installed, albeit with incorrect file
> ownership. I don't want to re-transfer that data over our narrow bandwidth
> connection if I don't have to. I believe rsync will sort out permissions and
> timestamps on its own.
>
> So far I've created a host in BackupPC and changed the transfer type to 'tar'
> and successfully imported one of its mount points, but now the tar sharename
> is called "/home/backup/<servername>/cur/<share>/", where the actual share on
> the host is simply called /<share>.
>
> My intention is to flip the Xfer method from 'tar' to 'rsync' after I get
> most of the larger shares imported via local tar. Is it necessary to
> associate the imported files with a specific host or does hard-linking take
> care of all that?
>
> Thanks!

> |This was sent by itismike AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.

Johan Ehnberg
johan AT ehnberg DOT net
johan.ehnberg.net
+358503209688