BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow

2016-02-10 16:25:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BPC 4 very slow
From: Stephen <stephen AT email.unc DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 16:24:22 -0500
On Wed, 10 Feb 2016, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:

> As wrote many, many, many, many times before: IT DOESN'T WORK.

I don't think shouting will enamor anyone for you or your plight. Neither
will repeating the same complaint ad infinitum.

> I'm trying any possible combination with settings trying to get at
> least 1 backup per day
> but is impossible, every time BPC starts a new full backup (and is
> running a full every time),
> the older one is removed, thus i'm loosing days.

I'm reminded of ESR's "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way," here.
<http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

It's apparent that no one else that's using bpc v4 seems to be having this
problem. Nevertheless, it's alpha code; it's possible you've found an
edge-case or other bug. Congratulations!

Might I suggest you do some diagnosis? You're more likely to receive help
if you can at least report the *exact* conditions which lead to the bug
(and the conditions that don't). Better, if you add some debugging and find
the bug, report those details. Best, fix it if your coding talents allow.

I wish I had time to replicate your problem and locate your bug. But I
don't. However if I were in your shoes, I'd probably begin by downloading a
copy of the code and checking it into my favorite revision control system.
Then install a server and one or more client instances with some easily
trackable, changing data -- maybe a couple of cron jobs to
create/append/delete a few tiny files every few minutes. These machines
could be VMs, possibly docker instances, etc. Whatever you're familiar with
and works for you.

Then configure a very short backup period for the clients, an hourly wake
interval with no black periods, etc. and observe. Change variables *one at
a time* to see what behavior changes. Add some debugging to the BackupPC
code at likely critical points. Lather, rinse, repeat. Periodically check
your changes back into your git/subversion/whatever repo so you can
backtrack and/or compare if needed.

I'll wager that you'll have a better understanding of the relevant issues
with a total investment of only 2-4 hours of your time (maybe 24-48 hours
of wall time).

Just my $0.02.

Best of luck,
Stephen