BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC daemon crashes often

2016-02-10 10:55:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC daemon crashes often
From: Russ POYNER <russell.poyner AT wisc DOT edu>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:54:39 +0000
Answered my own question.

The short version is that the PIPE signals were caused by too many RSS
requests. BackupPC daemon talks to the CGI scripts through a socket. When the
socket get's too much traffic it throws SIG PIPE and the BackupPC daemon exits.

My windows clients run a script that polls the backup status through RSS and
displays a color coded notification icon. I couldn't easily change all of the
windows machines to poll less so I changed the RSS code so that it serves a
cached copy of the RSS xml from a file, which gets refreshed once an hour.
Serving the cached file happens without opening the socket connection. Since
starting the new RSS code the BackupPC daemon has been up for over 24 hours,
which is a big improvement over the crashing every 1 to 5 hours before.

RP