BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Fatal error (bad version): /sbin/nologin: invalid option

2015-10-28 12:53:43
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Fatal error (bad version): /sbin/nologin: invalid option
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 11:51:57 -0500
On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 10:45 AM, fujisan
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> You did not understand, Les.
>
> It is NOT running from the web interface. it IS running from the command line.
> That is my problem.

Here is the relevant part of the error message you posted:

    Fatal error (bad version): /sbin/nologin: invalid option -- 'c'
   Usage:  nologin [options]  Politely refuse a login.

That is happening when you use the web interface, and not from the
command line.   It is not happening from the command line because you
explicitly set bash as your shell in your su command.   The part I
don't understand is why the web interface is invoking the user's
shell.   It is like it is using system() instead of exec() to run the
command at some point.   Setting backuppc's shell to /bin/bash would
probably fix it, but I think something else is wrong.