BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote access to BackupPC

2015-10-11 12:30:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Remote access to BackupPC
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: gayleard AT eircom DOT net, "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2015 11:29:19 -0500
On Sun, Oct 11, 2015 at 10:50 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard AT alice DOT it>
wrote:
> I'm away from home at the moment, and I want to access BackupPC.
> I've added my remote IP address to the "Require ip" list
> in /etc/httpd/conf.d/BackupPC.conf
> but I see in /var/log/httpd/error_log
>
> [Sun Oct 11 16:46:36.659610 2015] [authz_core:error] [pid 17673]
>  [client 192.168.6.26:41816] AH01630: client denied by server configuration:
>  /usr/share/BackupPC/sbin/BackupPC_Admin

It seems odd for a private 192.168.x.x IP to be visible remotely
instead of hidden by intermediate NAT routers.

> I don't see anything in /usr/share/BackupPC/sbin/BackupPC_Admin.pl
> that I could reasonably change.

Did you restart apache after the config change?  Also, if you are
running apache 2.2 it would be the 'Allow From' syntax.

> Any suggestions?

For 'one-off' remote access, you might use ssh port forwarding
instead.   Something like ssh -L8080:target_host:80 target_host from
your client host (putty or cygwin ssh can do this from windows) will
set up an encrypted tunnel as long as the connection is open so you
can open a browser to http://localhost:8080 which is tunneled to the
target's port 80 - and will appear to have also originated from that
host.   For even more generic remote access you can run 'x2go' at both
ends (clients are cross platform) which does its own ssh tunnel and
gives pretty good remote GUI access so you could run the browser on
the backuppc host with remote access.

It's not necessary to use these approaches since you should be able to
configure apache to allow access, but sometimes they are better or
more secure than opening up access to apache directly.